Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences [RGUHS], Bangalore Karnataka was established in the year 1996 as State University Educational Institute to provide higher education to build a career in the field of Science, Medical and Pharmacy. RGUHS is approved by the reputed MCI and UGC. Management of RGUHS Bangalore is working under Dr. S Sacchidanand (Vice-Chancellor).
Updated on Oct 25th, 2022
Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences Bangalore, Karnataka, is a leading educational institute for gaining academic knowledge with ample skills. Established in 1996 in Bangalore, it came into the limelight when the Government of Karnataka introduced it in front of students. The fact is that RGUHS was established to emerge all the existing health science institutes and colleges which were prior affiliated with the traditional universities in the state.
The objective of this university is to ensure systematic and proper guidance, training, teaching and research in India and the modern medical system. The rapid growth of students and institutions involved in many courses in allied health sciences and medicine assured the need for monitoring, regulation and standardization of prospectus. Having said this, RGUHS has an advanced curriculum of a wide variety of courses provided in various institutes/colleges across the state.
RGUHS is a leading government institute approved by well-known UGC and MCI. Moreover, it has ranked 288th among Indian universities while being placed at 7061st among world universities by UNI Rank. The ranking given by the Centre for World University Rankings shows this university in 5th position.
Due to being the biggest health sciences university in the country, presently, it offers more than 10 Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and PhD programs. These programmes are provided in the field of Dental, Medical, Naturopathy & Yoga Sciences, Ayurveda, Unani, Pharmacy, Homeopathy, Certificate course, and many others.
In addition, it is one of the members of the leading ACU Group of 500 Certified Universities, which is known for forming a better society by providing quality higher education. Based on the needs of society and the ever-changing circumstances, it has upgraded its curriculum so that quality healthcare reaches every nook and corner of the country through healthcare professionals passing out from the institution. For the selection process of 2022-2023 and choosing a course of own choice, students are advised to go through their official website.
RGUHS is one of the reputed and famous medical institutes in India. However, the university provides a wide variety of programmes at UG, PG, and Doctorate programmes in the field of Science, Dental, Medicine, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, and Ayurveda. Admission is granted on the basis of national and state-level entrance exams. Following are some of the courses whose admission is offered after clearing the entrance exam:
- Admission to BHMS, BAMS, and MBBS is based on the national entrance test, like NEET-UG. In contrast, NEET-PG is mandatory for admission to MS and MS courses at RGUHS.
- Admission to B.Pharm program is offered through score obtained in the KCET examination.
- For the MDS program, candidates are selected on the basis of valid scores of the NEET-MDS program.
- Admission to M.Ch and D.M is based on the entrance exam, like NEET SS.
- Admission for BPT, B.Sc, M.Sc, M.Phar, and MPT is based on marks attained in the qualifying exam.
- The college authority also held a PI round to shortlist candidates for the M.Sc. course.
- For doctorate courses, admission is offered on the basis of an entrance exam followed by a Viva-Voce/Interview.
Here we have listed the admission criteria for the following course:
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS
- Students must have passed 12th or any equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as mandatory subjects and English as a language subject.
- He or she should score a minimum of 50% marks in their 12th.
- Clear the NEET exam with the required marks.
Eligibility Criteria for BAMS
- Clear 12th or other relevant exams with Chemistry, Physics, English, and Biology.
- Score at least 50% aggregate in PCB.
- The selection process is completed on the marks attained in NEET, followed by a counselling round operated by the KEA (Karnataka Examination Authority).
Eligibility Criteria for B.Pharm
- Students must have cleared 12th with a minimum mark of 50% overall.
- The qualifying examination has been given in PCM/ PCB/ PCMB.
- Admission is provided on the basis of KCET, which refers to the Karnataka Common Entrance Test.
Eligibility Criteria for B.Sc
As the university offers the B.Sc course with various specializations, the eligibility criterion for selection varies. However, admissions are done on the basis of scores of the qualifying exam.
Pass 12th with English and Physics, Chemistry and Biology. In addition, he or she scores a minimum of 45% aggregate.
- Radiotherapy technology and Imaging Technology
Pass 12th with mathematics and Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as primary subjects.
- Anesthesia Technology, Medical Laboratory Technology, Operation Theatre Technology, Cardiac Care Technology, Respiratory Care Technology, Perfusion Technology, Neuro Science Technology, etc.
Pass 12th with English as a primary subject and PCB as a mandatory subject.
Eligibility Criteria for BHMS
- Applicants must have passed 12th with PCB and English.
- Score a minimum of 50% aggregate.
- Admission is offered on the basis of the score obtained in the NEET exam.
Eligibility Criteria for BPT
- Pass 10+2 with Chemistry, English, Physics, and Biology.
- Obtain at least 45% marks in PCB.
- Students are shortlisted based on the merit list prepared on the scores obtained in the qualifying exam.
Eligibility Criteria for MPT
- Pass a BPT course from an authorized institute/university.
- Depending on the score obtained in the qualifying exam, admission is offered to the students.
Eligibility Criteria for M.Sc
M.Sc is also offered with numerous specializations, so that the criterion will differ.
- MLT ( Haematology & Blood Transfusion, Clinical Biochemistry, or Microbiology & Immunology)
Clear Bachelor of Science in Medical Lab Technology
Pass Bachelor of Science in nursing. Moreover, admission will be offered on the basis of the score attained in the qualifying exam. Shortlisted candidates will call upon for an interview round held by the university.
Eligibility Criteria for M.Ch
- Applicant must possess MS or MD degree in any specialization from an authorized university.
- A valid score of NEET-SS is required for admission, which a counselling round held by KEA follows.
Eligibility Criteria for MDS
- Students must possess a BDS degree from an authorized institute.
- He/she must have a valid score in NEET-MDS, followed by counselling held by KEA.
Eligibility Criteria for MD
- Candidate must have an MBBS degree.
- Students must have cleared BAMS to pursue MD Ayurveda.
- Students must have cleared BHMS to pursue MD Homeopathy.
- A valid score of NEET-PG is required to get admitted into the MD course at Rajiv Gandhi University.
Eligibility Criteria for D.M
- Possess MS or MD degree in relevant specialization from an authorized institute.
- Valid score of NEET-SS.
Eligibility Criteria for M.Pharm
- Posses B.Pharm degree
- Scores obtained in the qualifying exam
Eligibility Criteria for Doctorate Courses
- Admission at Rajiv Gandhi for PhD level courses is done on the basis of the entrance exam, interview round, and academic performance.
The institution is also famous for offering awards or scholarships to its UG students of health sciences faculties studying in affiliated colleges/institutions. The scholarship aims to offer financial help to deserving and poor students to reduce the burden of fees charged by an institute at the UG level. While students who belong to a weaker section or ST/ SC/ OBC are also awarded scholarships. Other than that, those who are brilliant students are awarded scholarships. All you have to do is fill out a form and submit it along with the required documents to the fee counter.