GMAT is conducted by the GMAC, Graduate Management Admission Test opens up new opportunities for thousands of students across the Globe. This Computer Adaptive Test is a nice avenue to get entrance into some of the top management schools worldwide and top MBA Colleges in India. GMAT is conducted to test English Language skills, analytical skills, critical thinking and writing ability of the students. It is specifically designed for management students to assess the abilities required for graduating in a business program. The aggregate score in a GMAT exam is the comprehensive total that is set according to the industry standards. It consists of integrated reasoning section that checks student’s ability to form an evaluation for the data presented through multiple sources.
Why should you opt for GMAT?
It is a globally accepted entrance examination that is conducted every year in more than 114 countries. Candidates get access to more than 7,000 business programs through this test. The adaptive test works quite well for the candidates and prepares them for the corporate world too. Graduate Management Admission Council had started this examination 60 years ago to help the students showcase their skills in classrooms as well as their career. Decades of assessments and reasoning prove that GMAT is one of the best when it comes to predicting the academic performance of a candidate. There is a sense of security among students as this program has been designed depending on the factors that are accepted by some of the most renowned institutes.
This Computer Adaptive Test presents the questions to the candidate depending on his ability to answer the questions correctly. The first few questions are of average difficulty, and further, the difficulty level decreases if the student can answer the questions correctly. If the student is not able to answer the questions correctly, then the difficulty level keeps increasing. This is a standard process, and it continues until the student attempts all the questions.
How is GMAT different from GRE?
Students who plan to take admission in a business school for a management program should take part in GMAT. Candidates who want to stay flexible and apply in other subjects along with management programs should opt for GRE. While students mainly have the option to test their quantitative and grammatical skills in GMAT, the students sitting for GRE have the option to take part in eight different subjects that include Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Computer Science, Biochemistry, Mathematics, and Psychology.
Syllabus of GMAT
GMAT syllabus consists of quantitative and verbal tests. The quantitative section includes various mathematical and statistical formulas. Most part of the mathematical section consists of concepts that are taught in school examinations. Following list contains some of the important topics that you can expect in the quantitative section:
- Linear Equation
- Compound Interest
- Sets Theory
- Permutation and Combination
- Volumes and Surface areas
Along with Mathematical tests, GMAT also examines the verbal and grammatical strength of the candidates. It includes basic grammatical rules that consist of following topics:
Eligibility for GMAT examination 2018
Candidates need to fulfill certain criterions to apply for GMAT. The following list sums up all the important barometers that students need to accomplish.
- Minimum age limit of the candidate needs to be more than 18 years.
- The student sitting for the examination needs to be a graduate from any recognized university.
- Candidates are allowed a maximum of five attempts in a year. A student who has already completed his or her five attempts for the year cannot apply for the examination in that particular year.
- Candidates who are retaking the examination need to wait for 16 days before they sit for the next test. They are not considered to be eligible to sit for the test if they don’t wait for at least 16 days before the next examination.
- Students from any country can apply for the examination as the exam is held in 600 centers across 114 countries.
The pattern of GMAT Examination
This Computer Adaptive Test consists of four different sections that include Integrated Reasoning, Verbal section, Quantitative section and Analytical Writing.
- Students need to answer 91 questions in a span of5 hours.
- The Verbal section consists of 41 questions and students have 75 minutes to finish this section.
- Analytical Writing Assessment has only one question, and the candidates are granted 30 minutes to answer that.
- Integrated Reasoning section needs to be completed in 30 minutes, and 12 questions need to be answered.
- Quantitative section consists of 37 questions that need to be answered in 75 minutes.
Registering and scheduling the GMAT Examination
Candidates can register for GMAT any time during the year. GMAC provides both offline as well as online methods of registration.
- At first, the applicants need to create a GMAC account.
- Once the GMAC account is created the candidates get the option to enroll through official website of GMAT, through phone or postal mail.
To schedule the examination the candidate needs to follow the below-mentioned process:
- Once the student is on the official website of GMAT, they need to click on “Schedule a GMAT ”
- Then they need to enter their details and finish creating the GMAT Account
- They will be asked for their qualification and personal details
- Once they finish providing their personal details, then they are asked to select the test date and location.
- After selecting the examination center and date of the examination, the students need to pay the US $250.
Fees and Modes of Payment
Irrespective of the location the fees for enrolling in the GMAT exam is the US $250. If a candidate wants to cancel the exam for some reason, then the cost for cancellation is the US $80. In case the applicant wants to reschedule the exam then there is an additional cost of US $50. Online modes of payment include credit cards as well as debit cards. Offline modes of payment can be through personal cheque, money order or through cashier’s cheque. It is important to ensure that the full amount is mentioned clearly and payable to Pearson VUE-GMAT.
How to access GMAT Score?
GMAT scores are assessed on the scale devised by GMAC. There is a different score range for each of the sections in the examination. The range set for aggregate score obtained in a GMAT examination can be anywhere between 200 to 800. The ranges for each of the sections are mentioned below:
- Integrated Reasoning: 1-8
- Verbal: 0-60
- Analytical Writing: 0-6
- Quantitative Assessment: 0-6
Visit the official website of GMAT to check your scores. You just need to enter your details to check your score any time during the year. Candidates also get a unique link through an email that directs them to a new page and enables them to check their score.
The validity of GMAT Score
- GMAT scores are valid for all forms of MBA programs.
- The GMAT score of the candidate is valid for 5
- If the candidate does not score well, then he or she has the option to re-take the examination and schedule it as per their convenience.
Top Institutes Accepting GMAT Scores
A good GMAT score is known to be one of the best medium to build a successful career. Not only does it help in getting into top institutes but it also helps in catching the eye of some of the best recruiters. Top institutes in India that accept GMAT scores are:
- ISB, Hyderabad
- IIFT, Delhi
- XLRI, Jamshedpur
- P. Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai
- Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai
- IBS Business School, Pune